[lxc-devel] LXC as an alternative to linux-vserver

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Mon Nov 5 13:39:16 UTC 2012

Quoting Michael H. Warfield (mhw at WittsEnd.com):
> > - One of the things we use a lot with linux-vserver is an "enter"
> >   functionality: from a shell in the host, use the "enter" command
> >   to get a shell inside a container. This is a variant of the "exec"
> >   feature, which allows the execution of an arbitrary command inside
> >   a container from a shell on the host.
>
> I believe with recent kernels this works with lxc-attach but could be
> problematical.  I'm working on development versions right now and it's
> having problems attaching.  At one point, this feature needed a kernel
> patch but I was thinking it has been integrated upstream.  Not certain.

Not all of it is upstream yet.  I think Eric is eyeing 3.8 to merge the
final bits.  You can see the patches his kernel.org user namespace tree,
or my kernel.ubuntu.com quantal-userns tree, and it is built for quantal
at ppa:serge-hallyn/userns-natty.