[lxc-devel] LXC as an alternative to linux-vserver

Tomas Pospisek tpo2 at sourcepole.ch
Sat Nov 3 22:51:27 UTC 2012

On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 "Michael H. Warfield" wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-11-03, Patrick LeBoutillier wrote:
>
>> - One of the things we use a lot with linux-vserver is an "enter"
>>   functionality: from a shell in the host, use the "enter" command
>>   to get a shell inside a container. This is a variant of the "exec"
>>   feature, which allows the execution of an arbitrary command inside
>>   a container from a shell on the host.
>
> I believe with recent kernels this works with lxc-attach but could be
> problematical.  I'm working on development versions right now and it's
> having problems attaching.  At one point, this feature needed a kernel
> patch but I was thinking it has been integrated upstream.  Not certain.

I *think* the contrary is the case: lxc-attach capability is neither
integrated into any current kernels, nor is lxc-attach working with an
unpatched kernel. I would be very happy to see some evidence to the
contrary and would be glad to attach it here:

  http://bugs.debian.org/595920

Wrt the original question I agree with Michael: a missing lxc-attach is
not *that* problematic as you can work around it with ssh. However if
lxc-attach actually worked, that would be very yummy.

Thanks,
*t