[lxc-devel] LXC as an alternative to linux-vserver

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Nov 3 21:56:53 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-11-03 at 17:10 -0400, Patrick LeBoutillier wrote:
> Hi all,

> We have been using linux-vserver for years (we actually created the
> project before eventually passing on maintainership), but after years
> of kernel patching and unending API and syscall changes, we are looking
> to move towards a more mainstream approach, ideally fully integrated into
> the stock linux kernel.

> Some research has lead me to LXC as perhaps a viable replacement
> solution, but before going further I would like to get a better
> grasp on some of key aspects of the project.

I tried using linux-vservers a long time ago but had to abandon it due
to removal / failure of IPv6 support (which I think has since been
corrected) something like a decade ago.  At the time, I switched to
OpenVZ and never looked back.  I feel your pain on the kernel patching
an maintenance.  This finally got me fed up and I had to abandon OpenVZ
for LXC.  For what I do, it works great.  It has some significant
resource control limitations vis-a-vis OpenVZ but I wasn't using those
trottles and tuning knobs anyways.  I'm running a set of tightly
controlled environments with no "untrusted" users so all the owners of
my containers are no more than a strong brick throw away from me so that
takes care of resource management for me.  :-)=)

> Here goes:

> - One of the things we use a lot with linux-vserver is an "enter"
>   functionality: from a shell in the host, use the "enter" command
>   to get a shell inside a container. This is a variant of the "exec"
>   feature, which allows the execution of an arbitrary command inside
>   a container from a shell on the host.

I believe with recent kernels this works with lxc-attach but could be
problematical.  I'm working on development versions right now and it's
having problems attaching.  At one point, this feature needed a kernel
patch but I was thinking it has been integrated upstream.  Not certain.

>   A lot of our internal processes are based on this feature. The vast
>   majority of our containers do not run SSH servers and are accessed
>   interactively (or not) from the host.

>   Is this functionality (or something equivalent) supported by LXC?

You really don't want to do that.  Just use bridging.  In the end, once
it's set up, it's cleaner.  I used bridging on linux-vservers, OpenVZ,
and now LXC.

> - As far as networking is concerned, we simply use IP aliases (eth0:1)
>   to allocate IP addresses for the containers. This offers very basic
>   network isolation (the container is limited to using specific aliases)
>   but it suits our needs.

>   With LXC, is this simple technique usable or does one have to
>   necessarily setup bridges and/or tunnels?

There's also macvlan in LXC with lets the container share the network
device (sort of what you are doing without the need for alias
interfaces) but there have been problems in the past with that (solved
now, I think).

> Thanks a lot,

> Patrick

> --