[lxc-devel] LXC as an alternative to linux-vserver

Patrick LeBoutillier patrickl at croesus.com
Sat Nov 3 21:10:31 UTC 2012

Hi all,

We have been using linux-vserver for years (we actually created the
project before eventually passing on maintainership), but after years
of kernel patching and unending API and syscall changes, we are looking
to move towards a more mainstream approach, ideally fully integrated into
the stock linux kernel.

Some research has lead me to LXC as perhaps a viable replacement
solution, but before going further I would like to get a better
grasp on some of key aspects of the project.

Here goes:

- One of the things we use a lot with linux-vserver is an "enter"
  functionality: from a shell in the host, use the "enter" command
  to get a shell inside a container. This is a variant of the "exec"
  feature, which allows the execution of an arbitrary command inside
  a container from a shell on the host.

  A lot of our internal processes are based on this feature. The vast
  majority of our containers do not run SSH servers and are accessed
  interactively (or not) from the host.

  Is this functionality (or something equivalent) supported by LXC?

- As far as networking is concerned, we simply use IP aliases (eth0:1)
  to allocate IP addresses for the containers. This offers very basic
  network isolation (the container is limited to using specific aliases)
  but it suits our needs.

  With LXC, is this simple technique usable or does one have to
  necessarily setup bridges and/or tunnels?

Thanks a lot,

Patrick

--
*Patrick LeBoutillier*