[lxc-devel] Usability: lxc-ls

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Fri Jun 29 14:02:34 UTC 2012

Quoting Stefan Schlesinger (sts at ono.at):

> On Jun 28, 2012, at 5:35 PM, Ward, David - 0663 - MITLL wrote:
> > Just FYI, current git now allows you to list running containers
> > only with the '--active' flag to lxc-ls.
>
> The current version in Git also lists 'lost+found' as a virtual machine,
> in case /var/lib/lxc is a separate filesystem (same to lxc-list).
>
> I'd really like to urge to revise these commands, before the lxc API will
> freeze.

Good point.  But note that lxc-ls is currently a script with no code in
liblxc, so while we may get a version of the API with no ls defined, at
least it won't have ls badly defined :)

> IMHO the functionality of the three status commands could even be merged into
> a single utility:
>
> * lxc-ls
> * lxc-list
> * lxc-info

Jonathan, is your modified lxc-ls another script?  I liked the output of
your lxc-ls :)

Would someone care to write a patch to implement ls in the api, against
lp:~ubuntu-lxc/ubuntu/quantal/lxc/lxc-api-and-python/ (define it in
src/lxc/lxccontainer.{c,h}?  I may not be able to get to it until the
week after next.

-serge