[lxc-devel] cgroup cpuacct enhancement

Marian Marinov mm at yuhu.biz
Wed Oct 5 02:14:37 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 05 October 2011 01:25:15 Martin.Perry at bull.com wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I apologize if this is not the right list for this question, but it was
> the best match I could find. I'm working on a project to estimate the
> power consumption of jobs running on a Linux HPC cluster.  We've been
> looking into the possibility of producing this estimate using cgroups with
> the cpuacct subsystem.  cpuacct currently collects only cpu time.  If it
> also collected cpu cycles we could use these two values to calculate the
> cpu frequency and estimate the job's power consumption.  So my questions
> are:
> Is it feasible to enhance cgroup cpuacct to provide this additional data
> (number of cpu cycles)?
> Is there anyone actively working on cgroups who would be willing to make
> this change?
>
> Regards,
> Martin Perry
> Bull Information Systems

Hi Martin,

I think that you would want to ask here:
Paul Menage <menage> {} <google.com>
Li Zefan <lizf> {} <cn.fujitsu.com>
<containers> {} <lists.linux-foundation.org>

These are the maintainers of cgroups within the kernel.

I personally think that this is possible.

However I haven't done any research on that.

Regards,
Marian