[lxc-devel] cgroup cpuacct enhancement

Martin.Perry at Bull.com Martin.Perry at Bull.com
Tue Oct 4 22:25:15 UTC 2011

Hello.

I apologize if this is not the right list for this question, but it was
the best match I could find. I'm working on a project to estimate the
power consumption of jobs running on a Linux HPC cluster.  We've been
looking into the possibility of producing this estimate using cgroups with
the cpuacct subsystem.  cpuacct currently collects only cpu time.  If it
also collected cpu cycles we could use these two values to calculate the
cpu frequency and estimate the job's power consumption.  So my questions
are:
Is it feasible to enhance cgroup cpuacct to provide this additional data
(number of cpu cycles)?
Is there anyone actively working on cgroups who would be willing to make
this change?

Regards,
Martin Perry
Bull Information Systems