[lxc-devel] lxc-simple: porcelain over lxc commands

Nigel McNie nigel at mcnie.name
Tue Apr 26 22:48:02 UTC 2011

Oops - sorry for my slow reply, I totally missed that you had replied!

On 19 April 2011 01:30, Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano at free.fr> wrote:

> On 04/07/2011 12:29 AM, Nigel McNie wrote:
>

>> If we are to rename the command 'reboot', then it may confuse people who
>> are
>> expecting start/stop/restart from daemons etc - maybe we could rename
>> start/stop to be boot/halt as well then?
>>

> For the low levels command, boot/halt/reboot do not make sense as we can
> launch an application but for a higher level component doing system
> containers (VPS), that would make sense.  As far as I understood, this is
> the case for the lxc porcelain commands, right ?

Yep, that's correct.

>   Or, although I don't know anything
>> about the checkpointing stuff, maybe those commands could be
>> checkpoint/restore?
>>

> Mmh, usually it is checkpoint/restart or dump/restore. The lxc-checkpoint
> and lxc-restart commands already exist. They are empty command but defined
> for the API so the kernel developer can hack and use these commands.

Hrm. Maybe we could float this question as part of an RFC for the porcelain
to lxc-users, and get some opinions. I personally don't mind that much about
what the 'reboot' command is called as I don't often use it, so maybe my
fears are misguided.

Yes, please:

>  * submit your porcelain command as a patch (cf CONTRIBUTING) on top of the
> lxc head git repo.
>  * update the MAINTAINERS file adding a porcelain section where you add
> your name, so people will Cc you when contributing to your commands
>
> Submitting as a patch will help us to review and comment. For me it will be
> easier to apply, test and play with it.
> It is a big piece, so I assume some round trips will be needed before
> merging but I will be happy to merge it as soon it will be ready.

Will do! Work eats my weekdays, but I'll try get a first patch to you in the
next few days.

Nigel McNie
http://nigel.mcnie.name/ | +64 27 469 6038 | http://twitter.com/nigelmcnie |
http://about.me/nigel