[lxc-devel] Problem with lxc and physical network interface

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Mon Jun 8 10:06:32 UTC 2009

Markus Schuster wrote:
> Hello list, hello Daniel,
>
> sorry for my late response but I hadn't been subscribed to this mailing list
> until now, so I haven't recognized you answered my question.
>

>> at present the support of the physical network interfaces are not
>> supported if sysfs is enabled in the kernel. This is a kernel limitation
>> because the sysfs virtualization is not yet finisihed.
>> Only the virtual network devices are supported for the moment.
>>

> OK, this clarifies the trouble I'm experiencing...
> Maybe some more checking in lxc about kernel versions/features would provide a
> more user-friendly experience?

Hmm, I think what is missing is a good documentation about the
containers in general.
The lxc.sourceforge.net documentation is a little obsolete now :(
Definitively I have to update the website according the latest changes
in the kernel - time is not friend right now :/

>> Did you tried the macvlan configuration ? it is the simpler and the
>> fastest configuration. Maybe that can fit your needs.
>>

> I have not before, but if I set the MAC address to the same as my WLAN card,
> it works!

Cool :)

I was not sure that was possible but it's good to know we can do that.
> (You know, WLAN is a bit tricky 'cause the access point won't allow/forward
> packets from MAC addresses not registered to the AP).
Interesting. So I suppose it is not possible to share a wireless network
interface via the macvlan across several network namespaces, no ?

> I've tried lxc and
> linux-bridge in the past, but the bridge is not very happy about an interface
> sharing the same MAC address as the bridge itself has...
>
> The macvlan option looks interesting in a general way - does someone have some
> links to good documentation?

Unfortunately no and I think there is no documentation for this.

> Thanks for your help!

You are welcome :)

Thanks.

  -- Daniel