[lxc-devel] Problem with lxc and physical network interface

Markus Schuster ml at markus.schuster.name
Sun Jun 7 21:15:16 UTC 2009

Hello list, hello Daniel,

sorry for my late response but I hadn't been subscribed to this mailing list
until now, so I haven't recognized you answered my question.

> at present the support of the physical network interfaces are not
> supported if sysfs is enabled in the kernel. This is a kernel limitation
> because the sysfs virtualization is not yet finisihed.
> Only the virtual network devices are supported for the moment.

OK, this clarifies the trouble I'm experiencing...
Maybe some more checking in lxc about kernel versions/features would provide a
more user-friendly experience?

> Did you tried the macvlan configuration ? it is the simpler and the
> fastest configuration. Maybe that can fit your needs.

I have not before, but if I set the MAC address to the same as my WLAN card,
it works!
(You know, WLAN is a bit tricky 'cause the access point won't allow/forward
packets from MAC addresses not registered to the AP). I've tried lxc and
linux-bridge in the past, but the bridge is not very happy about an interface
sharing the same MAC address as the bridge itself has...

The macvlan option looks interesting in a general way - does someone have some
links to good documentation?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Markus