[lxc-users] LXC and Docker together?

Richard Hector richard at walnut.gen.nz
Thu May 23 03:32:49 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I've been asked by my client to set up Docker on the host I'd set up for
them with LXC (on Debian Stretch). This is because the applications that
run in the containers (Atlassian suite, mostly) will in the future be
managed by a different contractor, who is familiar with Docker. So
eventually, I expect most or all of the LXC containers will be replaced
with Docker ones.

It appears that I can install Docker from the Docker repo, so that's ok.

What I'm more worried about, is if they're both using the same
underlying technology (are they?) whether they'll interact in bad and/or
unexpected ways.

Am I likely to be safe doing this? Anything to watch out for?

And will I eventually be able to uninstall LXC without disrupting Docker?

Thanks,
Richard