[lxc-users] future of lxc/lxd? snap?

Richard Hector richard at walnut.gen.nz
Sat Feb 23 16:40:02 UTC 2019

On 24/02/19 5:17 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Richard Hector!
>
>> Hi all,
>
>> I see that lxd in ubuntu cosmic and disco is a transitional package for
>> snap - I see that lxd can be used for snap packages, but they're not the
>> same thing, right?
>
>> And Debian buster (even sid) still doesn't have lxd at all.
>
>> Is lxd not the future of lxc after all?
>
>> At least in debian-based distros? Or is it expected (by ubuntu) that we only
>> use lxc for snap packages?
>
> LXC is containers, LXD is orchestration tool.
> You can't say that a flashlight is a future of lightbulb.
> They are simply not the same nor a replacement of each other.

Yep, sure. But LXD is currently the most common way to manage LXC,
right? At least, when I ask LXC questions on here, people seem to be
surprised that I'm not using LXD.

So with LXD transitioning to snap in Ubuntu, is it expected that LXD
will only be used for snap packages?

And if I want to continue using LXC without snap, I won't get the
advantages of managing it with LXD?

Richard