[lxc-users] IP address?

Serge E. Hallyn serge at hallyn.com
Sat Apr 20 19:38:45 UTC 2019

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 08:42:16PM +0000, wisdomlight at protonmail.com wrote:
> # lxc-start -d -n myContainer
>
> and then
>
> # lxc-ls —fancy
>
> returns
>
> NAME   STATE   AUTOSTART GROUPS IPV4 IPV6       UNPRIVILIGED
>
> myContainer    RUNNING   0     -     -
>  -   false
>
> I was expecting an IP address under the IPV 4 heading.
>
> Why is there no IP address?

That depends on the container configuration (i.e.
/var/lib/lxc/myContainer/config), the host setup, and the actual
container.  Something has to setup the ipv4 address.  You can specify it
in the container config (see lxc.container.conf.5 manpage);  the
container can have it hardcoded to set itself as it boots;  or if the
host is running a dhcpserver for the containers, the container can call
dhcp to get it.