[lxc-users] PAM-CGFS[xxx]: Failed to get list of controllers

Christian Brauner christian at brauner.io
Mon Jul 9 09:45:34 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jul 09, 2018 at 02:08:03AM +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm seeing this in auth.log on an lxc host (no lxd).
>
> "PAM-CGFS[xxx]: Failed to get list of controllers"
>
> This is on a host I didn't set up; I've inherited maintenance for it,
> and recently added logcheck.
>
> On another host, which I did set up, I don't see that. I have noticed
> that the problem host has libpam-cgfs installed, whereas the other one
> doesn't.
>
> Both hosts are running Debian stretch, and IIRC both were upgraded from
> jessie.
>
> Any tips on what's causing this, and whether it's a problem?

So, first of all let's determine if you need the pam module at all. :)
- Do you run unprivileged containers as an unprivileged user on the
  affected host? If not, you can remove the pam module.
- What version is the package the pam module is installed from. It might
  just be that it can't really handle the empty unified cgroup hierarchy
  because it is too old.

Christian