[lxc-users] Steam BPM X360 controller detection inside container

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 26 13:06:45 UTC 2017

On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 01:04:41PM +1000, Michael Honeyman wrote:
> Hi lxc-users,
>
> I'm hoping someone wise can help me with some ideas how to solve this
> problem.
>
> I've been having fun trying to get Steam in Big Picture Mode working inside
> a LXD privileged container. The host is Ubuntu 16.04, as is the guest. I
> have almost everything working (albeit slightly manually) inside the LXD
> container including audio, video, and X360 wireless controller pass-through.
>
> My final challenge is with the addition of X360 wireless controllers during
> execution of Steam. It will pick up controllers that were activated prior
> to starting Steam, but once inside Steam BPM, a new controller or a
> reconnected controller will not work until Steam is closed and re-launched.
> If I start Steam, connect a controller (which then doesn't work in the
> Steam interface), and then launch a game - the controller works inside the
> game. So each time a new Steam executable is launched it will pick up the
> newly attached controllers for that instance.
>
> I'm searching for some advice on what mechanism(s) Steam might be using to
> detect newly added controllers, or how I might find out what it uses. I'm
> hoping that if I can find out what Steam is expecting upon addition of a
> new controller I can hopefully manually trigger that event inside the
> container. My uninformed guess is Steam hooks into udev, but since udev
> does not run inside containers this event is getting missed. But I'm not
> really sure how to go about testing this theory, or any other methods it
> might use.
>
> I realise this setup is very much on the fringe of the LXD use-case, so I'm
> not hoping to find someone who has already solved this problem, just any
> tips people can share to help me find the answer myself.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help and guidance rendered!
>
> Michael.

My guess is that steam is looking for a hotplug uevent for the USB
device, using this to detect when a device is plugged in after startup.

Unfortunately containers don't receive uevents when a device is
hotplugged, so if that's what steam's doing, you're out of luck for now.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer