[lxc-users] Steam BPM X360 controller detection inside container

Michael Honeyman michael at honeyman.net.au
Sat Sep 23 03:04:41 UTC 2017

Hi lxc-users,

I'm hoping someone wise can help me with some ideas how to solve this
problem.

I've been having fun trying to get Steam in Big Picture Mode working inside
a LXD privileged container. The host is Ubuntu 16.04, as is the guest. I
have almost everything working (albeit slightly manually) inside the LXD
container including audio, video, and X360 wireless controller pass-through.

My final challenge is with the addition of X360 wireless controllers during
execution of Steam. It will pick up controllers that were activated prior
to starting Steam, but once inside Steam BPM, a new controller or a
reconnected controller will not work until Steam is closed and re-launched.
If I start Steam, connect a controller (which then doesn't work in the
Steam interface), and then launch a game - the controller works inside the
game. So each time a new Steam executable is launched it will pick up the
newly attached controllers for that instance.

I'm searching for some advice on what mechanism(s) Steam might be using to
detect newly added controllers, or how I might find out what it uses. I'm
hoping that if I can find out what Steam is expecting upon addition of a
new controller I can hopefully manually trigger that event inside the
container. My uninformed guess is Steam hooks into udev, but since udev
does not run inside containers this event is getting missed. But I'm not
really sure how to go about testing this theory, or any other methods it
might use.

I realise this setup is very much on the fringe of the LXD use-case, so I'm
not hoping to find someone who has already solved this problem, just any
tips people can share to help me find the answer myself.

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance rendered!

Michael.