[lxc-users] Is there a reference manual about LXD ?

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Sat Oct 21 04:12:03 UTC 2017

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 7:34 AM, Pierre Couderc <pierre at couderc.eu> wrote:

> Sorry,  I have not fount it.
>
> I have installed LXD on stretch following Stéphane
> https://stgraber.org/2017/01/18/lxd-on-debian.
>
> Fine ! an infinite  progress after my successful install of lxc on jessie,
> it seems to me 20 years ago, following  :
>
> https://myles.sh/configuring-lxc-unprivileged-containers-in-debian-jessie/
>

> But, this LXD was a trial. I have installed, it works immediately !
>
> But using all defaults, it is not what I need and I want to reinstall it :
>
> 1-Is there a reference manual about LXD so that  I ask for help here after
> RTFM and not before as now...

Note that it's MUCH easier to use lxd on ubuntu 16.04, with
xenial-backports to get the 'best' combination of 'new features' and
'tested'. It has lxd 2.18, with support for storage pools. If you're using
this version, the most relevant documentation would be from git master
branch: https://github.com/lxc/lxd/tree/master/doc

If you're using it for production and want long term support, use the
default xenial repository instead (not backports), which has lxd 2.0.x.
It's supported for longer time, but doesn't have new features (like storage
pools). The relevant docs for this version is either
https://github.com/lxc/lxd/tree/stable-2.0/doc or
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/lxd.html

> 2- How do I erase my first trial : I try to reinit but i says me that :
>
> The requested storage pool "default" already exists. Please choose another
> name.
>
> How do I erase the the  storage pool "default" ?

Might be hard if you're using file-backed zfs-pool. On ubuntu it's probably
something like this:
- systemctl disable lxd
- reboot
- rename /var/lib/lxd to something else, then create an empty /var/lib/lxd
- systemctl enable lxd
- systemctl start lxd
- lxd init

I'm not sure how the path and startup script would translate to debian +
lxd from snapd (which is in the link you mentioned)

> 3- My true problem is that I do not want the NAT for my new lxc containers
> but that they use the normal addresses on my local network. How do I do
> that ?

The usual way:
- create your own bridge, e.g. br0 in
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkConnectionBridge (that example
bridges eth0 and eth1 on the same bridge. use the relevant public interface
for your setup)
- configure your container (or profile) to use it (replacing the default
lxdbr0).
- no need to delete existing lxdbr0, just leave it as is.

The 'new' way: looking at
https://github.com/lxc/lxd/blob/master/doc/networks.md , it should be
possible to create the bridge using 'lxc network create ...'

> And how do I assign them a MAC address so they  are accessible from the
> internet.

This depends on your setup.

For example, if you rent dedicated server from serverloft (or other
providers with similar networking setup), they do NOT allow bridging of VMs
to the public network. You need to setup routing instead (long story).

But if you're on a LAN, then 'making the containers be on the same LAN is
the host' is as simple as 'configure the container to use br0' (or whatever
bridge you create above). If the LAN has a DHCP server, then the container
will automatically get a 'public' IP addres. If not, then configure it
statically (just like how you configure a normal linux host)

--
Fajar