[lxc-users] HOWTO: How to run graphics-accelerated GUI apps in LXD containers on your Ubuntu desktop

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Thu May 4 17:36:42 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 10:56 AM, T.C 吳天健 <tcwu2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Per my previous mail mentioned 'chrome working but not gain 3d acceleration'
> was documented and shared as
> https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1DcxNYlXgYLIWKQG8sbg8POk-uxl9I1Kgi9W3ti_1MbQ/edit?usp=sharing
>
> The report is mixed with some Chinese but I believe reader can understand by
> it's English paragraph, experiment number and figures.

Hi!

I get accelerated graphics and the output of chrome://gpu is identical
betweem the host and LXD Chrome:

===
Graphics Feature Status

Canvas: Hardware accelerated
Flash: Hardware accelerated
Flash Stage3D: Hardware accelerated
Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Hardware accelerated
Compositing: Hardware accelerated
Multiple Raster Threads: Enabled
Native GpuMemoryBuffers: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
  (i.e. Intel GPU)
Rasterization: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
Video Decode: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
Video Encode: Hardware accelerated
VPx Video Decode: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
WebGL: Hardware accelerated
WebGL2: Hardware accelerated
===

For my Intel GPU, I did not have to enable the LXD GPU Passthrough
(LXD 2.7 or later),
while others with NVidia had to do so. It would be great if someone
with Intel GPU could try the tutorial
and report back.

Simos