[lxc-users] How to run GUI apps in an LXD container (with graphics acceleration)

sjoerd at sjomar.eu sjoerd at sjomar.eu
Tue May 2 14:09:14 UTC 2017

May 2, 2017 1:19 PM, "Simos Xenitellis" <simos.lists at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> I wrote the following on how to run GUI apps in an LXD container,
> https://blog.simos.info/how-to-run-wine-graphics-accelerated-in-an-lxd-container-on-ubuntu
> The common case is when we run already Ubuntu desktop and we want to
> get a GUI app
> to run in a container and the window to appear in the host's X server.
>
> I made some effort to minimize the requirements and in my case, I did
> not even have to add the "gpu" device in LXC.
> I tried these with LXC 2.13.
>
> It would be great if you could try the instructions as well, and
> report if it works for you.
> As a testing app, you can use "glxgears".

Thanks for the HOW-To, but why would you want to do:
lxc exec wine-games -- sudo --login --user ubuntu
ubuntu at wine-games:~$ sudo apt update
ubuntu at wine-games:~$ sudo apt install x11-apps
ubuntu at wine-games:~$ sudo apt install mesa-utils
ubuntu at wine-games:~$ exit

Sounds silly to me to go from a root shell to change to an user to execute root commands via sudo?

Cheers,
Sjoerd