[lxc-users] Am I misusing LXCs?

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 30 20:07:34 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 8:53 PM, John Lewis <oflameo2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I build an LXC network on my VPS to separate all of my personal service
> from each other how similar they are to each other while not having to
> buy more VPS that I don't utilize intensely. Both my containers and my
> host are running Debian 8.
>
> I made a container for Email communications (Email and PBX) Two for
> authentication, One for web sites one for SQL Database and one for DNS
> DHCP.
>
> It was a nice learning experience, but right now, I think the setup is
> annoying to maintain because this wasn't the simplest configuration I
> could have used.
>
> Should I even use containers for this kind of thing? If I should use
> containers at all, how should I use them?

Is that the traditional LXC or is it LXD/LXC containers?
I have a similar set-up (the latter, with LXD/LXC) and there is also a
vsftpd in the mix.

I think your question is about best practices and whether your
installation adheres
to some best practices.
How do you direct incoming connections to each container? Do you use
iptables or something else?
If you where to migrate your installation to another VPS, how
confident would you be to do that?
How do you get backups? Do you take snapshots as backups?

I think that if you reach a point where you separate your data from
the services, the management of the containers
will become much easier and you will feel more confident with the installation.

Simos