[lxc-users] user 'ubuntu' does not exist within LXD container

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 23 11:32:09 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:41 PM, Francesco Longo <flongo at unime.it> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm playing with Raspberry Pi virtualization, i.e., in few words, creating
> LXD containers on top of a Raspberry Pi and attaching to them a couple of
> FUSE filesystems mirroring the GPIO /sys/class/gpio filesystem.
>
> I created a simple script that you can find here:
> https://github.com/flongo82/raspberry_virtualization/blob/master/launch_virtual_rasp.sh
>
> A first issue I'm dealing with is that when using lxc exec to add the ubuntu
> user to the gpio groups it says that the ubuntu user does not exist. But, if
> I login into the container the user is actually there but, of course, it is
> not part of the gpio group given that the command has failed.
>
> This is the output of the script:
>
> Creating virtual rasp test!
> Creating test
> Starting test
> Adding group `gpio' (GID 1000) ...
> Done.
> usermod: user 'ubuntu' does not exist
> Device gpio added to test
> Device devices added to test
>
> Any idea why this is happening? Is it possible that I need to wait a while
> before issuing this kind of lxc exec command after creating the container?

You can look into the image at /var/lib/lxd/images/
and you will verify that the "ubuntu" account is not preinstalled in the image.
In there you can see that there exist cloud-init templates that do things
like creating users. My quick look did not show which template creates
the "ubuntu" user,
so have a better look in there.
"cloud-init" runs after the container is created, therefore it makes
sense is the "ubuntu" account
is not available exactly after the exit for "lxc launch".

Simos