[lxc-users] LXD 2.4.1 - Trouble with Cloud Init

Neil Bowers neil_bowers at glasken.com
Sat Jan 21 19:06:38 UTC 2017

Greetings,

I've got a homelab setup with Ubuntu Server 16.10 with LXD 2.4.1.

I'm having trouble getting cloud-init options I've specified in my profile
configuration to properly apply, and I cannot seem to find any log files to
tell me why.  Can someone take a look?  Name specifics have been changed to
protect the guilty :)

name: default
config:
  user.user-data: |-
    #cloud-config
    users:
      - name: dood
        gecos: Mr Dood
        ssh_authorized_keys:
          - ssh-rsa <...snip...>
        sudo: ['ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL']
        groups: sudo
        shell:  /bin/bash
    write_files:
      - owner:  dood:dood
        path: ~/.bash_aliases
      - content:  |
          alias dir='ls -Alph --color=auto'
    apt_proxy: "http://192.168.1.2:8000"
devices:
  eth0:
    name: eth0
    nictype: bridged
    parent: br0
    type: nic
usedby: []

This profile was built using several different resources, including the
cloud-init documentation and examples provided by others (Digital Ocean,
etc.).

When a container is built using this profile - i.e. lxc launch
images:ubuntu/yakkety - the container is built with no errors, but the user
isn't created, the SSH key isn't applied, the file isn't created, etc.
However, the apt_proxy directive is implemented - this is why I think
either I need to do something specific for lxd's implementation of
cloud-init, or I have the profile built wrong.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as is any alternatives.