[lxc-users] lxc 2.0.6 breaks lxc-start

Christian Brauner christian.brauner at canonical.com
Mon Jan 9 16:35:20 UTC 2017

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I'm a little confused.

On Thu, Jan 05, 2017 at 01:31:28PM +0100, Detlef Vollmann wrote:
> On 01/01/17 14:14, Christian Brauner wrote:
> > Hm, works for me. I can just start containers fine where the
> > configuration file is located somewhere else. Can you please
> > append/copy the containers configuration file here and note any
> > special tweaks to your setup as well?
> Here's my test case:
> $ sudo lxc-ls
> rlx3-test1 trusty-dev
> # note: no 'test' here

Yes, because the default lxc path should be "/var/lib/lxc" and according to the
config file that you attached the container "test" exists on a different path
"/images/lxc". So this is expected. If you'd pass:

sudo lxc-ls -P /images/lxc

the container "test" should show up.

> $ sudo lxc-start -F -n test -f /images/lxc/test.conf
> Error: container test is not defined

I'd argue that this is also fine because the container does not exist on the
"/var/lib/lxc" path so lxc-start is perfectly right to complain. The fact that
this worked before is actually the real bug.

> $ sudo lxc-create -n test -f /images/lxc/test.conf -t none
> $ sudo lxc-ls
> rlx3-test1 test       trusty-dev
> # no we have 'test'

This is also expected since you now have a dummy container "test" under
"/var/lib/lxc" that lxc-start finds and overloads with the configuration file
you passed.

> $ sudo lxc-start -F -n test -f /images/lxc/test.conf
> INIT: version 2.88 booting
>
> I.e. without 'lxc-create', 'lxc-start' doesn't work anymore, though it
> used to work this way.

Yep. As I said the fact that it used to work without passing -P is the real bug
here.

So your solution should simply be to pass the path where the container actually
exists to lxc-start:

sudo lxc-start -F -n test -f /images/lxc/test.conf -P /images/lxc

Christian