[lxc-users] would there be value in starting an LXD community online collection of how-to related information

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Thu Jan 12 22:13:25 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 12:05 AM, brian mullan <bmullan.mail at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I guess I'd like to hear from other LXD users out there that would be
> interested in more general "how-to" guides for LXD being available.

A helpful documentation would always be useful

> Myself, I'm not a sw developer and not overly familiar with Github's
> utilization.  I suspect there may be alot of LXD users that are more
> *"integrators"* of technologies into LXD and perhaps not dev's or Github
> users but I could certainly be wrong.

There are lots of "users" which are just that: users.

> In my mind I'd like to see something very easy to
> edit/submit/change/search *by the general LXD community of users*... much
> like a wiki is.
>

>From my experience in other open source projects, "EASY to edit" doesn't
matter much in the end. What matters most, is for someone to volunteer
maintaining it.

What usually happens:
- there are only minimal documentation available (the devs focus on the
code), most info are available from users list
- someone would volunteer to maintain some sort of documentation, or the
devs would eventually get to it.
- after some time, the docs might end up lagging due to real life problems
- some incorrect, or works-but-confusing info would end up in the "wiki"
- no one would step up to be the new doc maintaner

Maybe github is all those things and its my lack of familiarity & daily use
> of it that makes me feel otherwise but I think the fact that on the LXD
> Github there are currently only 85 contributors *(nearly all are
> coder/devs) makes me think that many people may just not know "how" to add
> LXD related "user" generated content like this via gitub*?

There's a learning curve, but not really that hard.

Github also has a wiki, but I suspect the devs team don't enable that
feature to make sure all info on the github page are accurate.

> Anyway I'd like to see what others think.
>
> I have found:  https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Miraheze which is a highly
> rated, *widely used, open source, and free hosting *wiki site that
> supports a visual editor, subscribing & auto-notification to
> topics/subjects, etc.    But that is just  one possibility for
> consideration for *a user-friendly, easy-to-use* alternative?

One option to move forward, is for you to create the docs on whatever
platform you see fit. Then link to it anytime a relevant question pop up on
this list.

--
Fajar