[lxc-users] would there be value in starting an LXD community online collection of how-to related information

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 9 20:41:32 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jan 08, 2017 at 02:51:34PM -0500, brian mullan wrote:
> I know there is the LXD github info that the developers provide and there
> are other awesome sources of info like Stephane Graber, Serge Hallyn,
> Tycho's etc websites on LXD.
>
> But I've also seen a tremendous amount of LXD related "how-to's" scattered
> all over the web.and I've tried to collect what I personally found on the
> LXD subreddit:  https://www.reddit.com/r/LXD/
>
> I see great questions & answers on the lxc-users mailer all the time but
> unless I cut & paste ones that are particularly insightful in order to save
> them for later I find it sometimes hard to "re-find" them later by going to
> the lxc-users mailer archive (
> https://lists.linuxcontainers.org/pipermail/lxc-users/) as I haven't found
> a convenient way to "search" the entire archive for specific info other
> than expanding each month-by-month entry by subject although I do
> understand that there appears to be a way to make pipermail archives
> searchable -
> https://wiki.list.org/DOC/How%20do%20I%20make%20the%20archives%20searchable
>
> All too often I read comments by people along the lines of * "Why is there
> no general LXD Users Guide"*.
>
> Those types of comments are are often accompanied by questions related to
> specific areas like how to map devices or other "how-to" configure type
> questions.
>
> Myself, I'd started collecting tidbits into a .ODT file to reference when I
> need to and so far I have about 19 pages of info on various topics.    I
> have to believe I'm not the only one that's got their own list of LXD
> how-to's saved away on their pc!
>
> All of the info I've gathered was gleaned off of various sites on the web
> and unfortunately since I was, at the time only collecting the info for
> myself, I didn't keep a Link or author reference to where some of it came
> from (sorry about that).  Some of my .ODT probably came from things I'd
> read by the above individuals.
>
> Attached is my .ODT.   The format may not be the greatest but again, it has
> been for my own reference so far.
>
> I was thinking if something like this might be of interested to more people
> then we could host the file on github somewhere and the LXD user community
> could add/correct/delete info as time went on "how to" do things with LXD?
>
> So thought I'd just throw this out there.
>
> Brian

We do track a whole bunch of them on this page:

https://linuxcontainers.org/lxd/articles/

Our website is available on github at:

https://github.com/lxc/linuxcontainers.org

So it's pretty easy to send in updates for that page.

We'd certainly also welcome contributions to the website itself,
improving the getting started guide and possibly adding a few more pages
of documentation directly on the site.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer