[lxc-users] Elasticsearch 5.0 <-> LXD

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon Jan 9 01:08:08 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 10:51 PM, James Beedy <jamesbeedy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've stumbled onto what I think is a blocker for having Elasticsearch 5.0
> run in a LXD container. I can install Elasticsearch 5.0, and start it with
> the default elasticsearch.yml (listens on localhost by default), but
> if/when I modify the config to tell Elasticsearch to listen on any
> interface or ip, it fails to start with errors in syslog " systemd[1]:
> Failed to reset devices.list on /system.slice/elasticsearch.service:
> Operation not permitted".

That message by itself is not a fatal error, and (for most cases) can
safely be ignored.

> See my syslog here -> http://paste.ubuntu.com/23700718/
>
> I've found this here https://github.com/lxc/lxd/issues/2004, which looks
> like its the same thing I'm hitting.

... which you wouldve' seen already had you read thru the issue
https://github.com/lxc/lxd/issues/2004#issuecomment-246228238

> Elasticsearch 5.0: installed via apt-get.
> Ubuntu series: xenial
> Juju: 2.0.2-xenial-amd64
>
> Any insight on how I might get around this would be greatly appreciated.

My GUESS is that you should read elasticsearch log and docs

Dec 28 11:36:57 juju-8e9b2b-13 elasticsearch[16570]: Exception in thread
"main" ElasticsearchParseException[null-valued setting found for key
[discovery.zen.ping.unicast.hosts] found at line number [6], column number
[34]]
Dec 28 11:36:57 juju-8e9b2b-13 elasticsearch[16570]: Refer to the log for
complete error details.

http://apprize.info/data/elasticsearch/8.html
"... Because of the way unicast works, we need to specify at least a single
host that the unicast message should be sent to. To do this, we should add
the discovery.zen.ping.unicast.hosts property to our elasticsearch.yml
configuration file."

Again, this is a guess, since I don't use elasticsearch. If that isn't the
problem, some generic things to try:
- make sure it works on a real server or normal VM first (e.g. KVM). To
eliminate any obvious configuration issue
- try testing on privileged containers first. Possibly by using a VM to
install lxd without using juju
- if privileged containers work, then try unpriv containers

Some apps (e.g. fuse) simply won't work on unpriv containers. Others (e.g.
openvpn) needs modification to their systemd unit to work in unpriv
containers. In any case, elasticsearch logs should provide more info.

--
Fajar