[lxc-users] would there be value in starting an LXD community online collection of how-to related information

brian mullan bmullan.mail at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 19:51:34 UTC 2017

I know there is the LXD github info that the developers provide and there
are other awesome sources of info like Stephane Graber, Serge Hallyn,
Tycho's etc websites on LXD.

But I've also seen a tremendous amount of LXD related "how-to's" scattered
all over the web.and I've tried to collect what I personally found on the
LXD subreddit:  https://www.reddit.com/r/LXD/

I see great questions & answers on the lxc-users mailer all the time but
unless I cut & paste ones that are particularly insightful in order to save
them for later I find it sometimes hard to "re-find" them later by going to
the lxc-users mailer archive (
https://lists.linuxcontainers.org/pipermail/lxc-users/) as I haven't found
a convenient way to "search" the entire archive for specific info other
than expanding each month-by-month entry by subject although I do
understand that there appears to be a way to make pipermail archives
searchable -
https://wiki.list.org/DOC/How%20do%20I%20make%20the%20archives%20searchable

All too often I read comments by people along the lines of * "Why is there
no general LXD Users Guide"*.

Those types of comments are are often accompanied by questions related to
specific areas like how to map devices or other "how-to" configure type
questions.

Myself, I'd started collecting tidbits into a .ODT file to reference when I
need to and so far I have about 19 pages of info on various topics.    I
have to believe I'm not the only one that's got their own list of LXD
how-to's saved away on their pc!

All of the info I've gathered was gleaned off of various sites on the web
and unfortunately since I was, at the time only collecting the info for
myself, I didn't keep a Link or author reference to where some of it came
from (sorry about that).  Some of my .ODT probably came from things I'd
read by the above individuals.

Attached is my .ODT.   The format may not be the greatest but again, it has
been for my own reference so far.

I was thinking if something like this might be of interested to more people
then we could host the file on github somewhere and the LXD user community
could add/correct/delete info as time went on "how to" do things with LXD?

So thought I'd just throw this out there.

Brian