[lxc-users] DVB - Card Passthrough

John Gubert john.gubert at web.de
Mon Jan 2 21:38:55 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

I am setting up my next container (Ubuntu Xenial) on my host (Ubuntu
Xenial), this one is supposed to stream TV from a dvb-s2 card to my network.

I intend to use TvHeadend software for this purpose, which I was able to
install inside the container and I tried to pass through the /dev
components of my dvb card:

lxc config device add tv bridge0 unix-char path=/dev/ddbridge/card0

lxc config device add tv demux0 unix-char path=/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0
lxc config device add tv dvr0 unix-char path=/dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0
lxc config device add tv frontend0 unix-char
path=/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
lxc config device add tv net0 unix-char path=/dev/dvb/adapter0/net0

lxc config device add tv demux1 unix-char path=/dev/dvb/adapter1/demux0
lxc config device add tv dvr1 unix-char path=/dev/dvb/adapter1/dvr0
lxc config device add tv frontend1 unix-char
path=/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0
lxc config device add tv net1 unix-char path=/dev/dvb/adapter1/net0

As far as I can see, all those devices are available inside the host,
yet tvheadend does not find them.

The former setup was a virtual machine based on kvm/qemu with pci
passthrough. I was hoping to increase responsiveness and decrease load
with a switch to LXD.

Does one of you use a similar setup and know about some caveats I need
to look into? Or how to check inside the container, whether it is a
tvheadend or a container problem?

kind regards,

John