[lxc-users] LXD Official PPA deprecation

Jeffrey Lane jeffrey.lane at canonical.com
Thu Dec 28 14:28:38 UTC 2017

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 03:32 laurent ducos <laurentducos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
> I have two questions.
>
>   * The exact date of end of ppa is not specified. What is the expected
> day?
>   * Actualy my version of lxd is 2.16..I will update it on January 5th. If
> the support of the ppa is finished I would only have to delete the entries
> in "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu-lxc-ubuntu-lxd-stable-xenial.list" then
> "apt update" and "apt install -t xenial-backports lxd lxd-client" Nothing
> else to do ?

Or you could do as they suggest in the deprecation and begin using the
snapped version of LXD going forward. That will get you the latest LXD with
each snap update and you won’t have to ever worry about apt pinning or
which PPA to use as the snaps are self-contained.

> [...]
>>> version pinning *by default* sticks backports as an optional,
>>> you-must-specify-to-install-from-backports option.  Therefore, you do
>>> ***not*** need extensive version pinning in Ubuntu releases to use
>>> backports alongside standard system packages, as the system by-default
>>> deprioritizes Backports unless you've installed something specifically from
>>> Backports.  (PPAs actually operate completely differently, and get the 500
>>> priority which can actually result in clobbering of data between repos)
>>>
>>> Ultimately, this is ***not*** going to need extensive version pinning.
>>> Trust me on this, as someone who's done this myself on four separate
>>> environments and actively uses LXD to run multiple production-level
>>> services actively via the four boxes - backports being enabled don't impact
>>> things like you think it does.
>>>
>>> (I had this same misconception in the 14.04 era, but after talking with
>>> the release team and other server team members, this is no longer the case).
>>>

>>> Thomas
>>> Ubuntu Server Team Member
>>> LP: ~teward
>>>
>>> On 12/27/2017 11:57 AM, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
>>>
>>> When updating LXD 2.20 on Ubuntu 16.04, I noticed the PPA deprecation
>>> notice, included below [1].
>>>
>>> I'd like to respectfully ask that the PPA not be deprecated and continue
>>> to see new package versions. Or at the very least, see deprecation deferred
>>> until after the next LTS 18.04.1 is widely deployed.
>>>
>>> PPAs are well supported with our existing tooling (saltstack, etc) and
>>> allow granular access to only the desired package (LXD) and its
>>> dependencies. Snap packages are not an option for my company at this time.
>>>
>>> If I understand correctly, enabling the backports repository on LTS
>>> production systems to obtain new LXD versions may require extensive version
>>> pinning to keep existing installed packages at their current versions.
>>>
>>> Given that LXD is a major project of Canonical, continuing to provide an
>>> existing official PPA is helpful to users, consistent with other projects
>>> publishing debian packages, and worth the effort to continue maintenance
>>> going forward.
>>>
>>> Thanks for considering the request.
>>> Jeff
>>>

>>> [1] Deprecation notice:
>>>
>>> LXD PPAs to go away by end of year
>>>
>>> We are deprecating all LXD PPAs at the end of 2017.
>>>
>>> Existing users should move to the LXD snap as the preferred way to get
>>> the
>>> latest LXD feature release on older Ubuntu releases.
>>>
>>> You can do so by first installing snapd on your system if it's not there
>>> already. Once snapd is installed, installing the LXD snap and migrating
>>> your
>>> existing data can be done with:
>>>
>>> snap install lxd && lxd.migrate
>>>
>>> Alternatively, we do still provide a .deb version of LXD for older Ubuntu
>>> releases through the official -backports archive pocket.
>>>
>>> Those packages are identical to what's available through our PPAs but
>>> from additional testing on our part. To switch over to those backport
>>> packages,
>>> use:
>>>
>>> apt install -t <release>-backports lxd lxd-client
>>>
>>> Replacing "<release>" with the codename of your Ubuntu release (e.g.
>>> xenial).

Sent from my iPhone so please forgive any typos, top posting and such.