[lxc-users] LXD Official PPA deprecation

Thomas Ward teward at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 27 17:50:46 UTC 2017

Glad to hear it cleared things up!

Just to clarify my post, though, for others, the 'standard' system I was
referring to was my 16.04 Desktop installation.

Just to get the 'bog standard default' policy sets, I spun up a pristine
16.04 image in LXD, and pulled the `apt-cache policy` from it:

root at test-xenial-image:~# apt-cache policy | grep backports
 100 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports/universe amd64
Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-backports,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=universe,b=amd64
 100 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports/main amd64 Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-backports,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=main,b=amd64

As is seen here, it too has backports enabled, and has the lower pin
priority.  This should be *standard* therefore, though I don't have a
pure Ubuntu server here just now to reconfirm.  However, default pins
seem to place it at lower priority, and therefore a purely optional
'must be specified as installation source' option during installtion
steps.  (It's how I moved off the PPAs and onto the Backports without
issue for my LXD 'hypervisor' servers, and my own laptop for LXD as well).

Thomas