[lxc-users] LXD Official PPA deprecation

Thomas Ward teward at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 27 17:04:05 UTC 2017

Uhm... I think you're confused here Jeff.  Allow me to explain.

In Standard Ubuntu releases, Backports is *actually enabled* but set at
a lower pin priority by default.  That is, you can have backports
enabled and then only *selectively* install from Backports.  This is a
standard 16.04 system and its corresponding Backports priority data from
`apt-cache priority`:

 100 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports/universe i386
Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-backports,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=universe,b=i386
 100 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports/universe amd64
Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-backports,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=universe,b=amd64
 100 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports/main i386 Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-backports,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=main,b=i386
 100 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports/main amd64
Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-backports,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=main,b=amd64

This indicates it's a lower priority than the updates or other
repositories, such as the standard xenial-updates, which is shown here
below:

 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/multiverse i386
Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-updates,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=multiverse,b=i386
 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/multiverse amd64
Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-updates,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=multiverse,b=amd64
 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/universe i386
Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-updates,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=universe,b=i386
 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/universe amd64
Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-updates,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=universe,b=amd64
 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/restricted i386
Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-updates,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=restricted,b=i386
 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/restricted amd64
Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-updates,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=restricted,b=amd64
 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main i386 Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-updates,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=main,b=i386
 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64 Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-updates,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=main,b=amd64

The priority of 100 is lower than the priority of 500; ultimately, the
version pinning *by default* sticks backports as an optional,
you-must-specify-to-install-from-backports option.  Therefore, you do
***not*** need extensive version pinning in Ubuntu releases to use
backports alongside standard system packages, as the system by-default
deprioritizes Backports unless you've installed something specifically
from Backports.  (PPAs actually operate completely differently, and get
the 500 priority which can actually result in clobbering of data between
repos)

Ultimately, this is ***not*** going to need extensive version pinning.
Trust me on this, as someone who's done this myself on four separate
environments and actively uses LXD to run multiple production-level
services actively via the four boxes - backports being enabled don't
impact things like you think it does.

(I had this same misconception in the 14.04 era, but after talking with
the release team and other server team members, this is no longer the case).

Thomas
Ubuntu Server Team Member
LP: ~teward