[lxc-users] LXD Official PPA deprecation

Jeff Kowalczyk jeff.kowalczyk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 16:57:03 UTC 2017

When updating LXD 2.20 on Ubuntu 16.04, I noticed the PPA deprecation
notice, included below [1].

I'd like to respectfully ask that the PPA not be deprecated and continue to
see new package versions. Or at the very least, see deprecation deferred
until after the next LTS 18.04.1 is widely deployed.

PPAs are well supported with our existing tooling (saltstack, etc) and
allow granular access to only the desired package (LXD) and its
dependencies. Snap packages are not an option for my company at this time.

If I understand correctly, enabling the backports repository on LTS
production systems to obtain new LXD versions may require extensive version
pinning to keep existing installed packages at their current versions.

Given that LXD is a major project of Canonical, continuing to provide an
existing official PPA is helpful to users, consistent with other projects
publishing debian packages, and worth the effort to continue maintenance
going forward.

Thanks for considering the request.
Jeff

[1] Deprecation notice:

LXD PPAs to go away by end of year

We are deprecating all LXD PPAs at the end of 2017.

Existing users should move to the LXD snap as the preferred way to get the
latest LXD feature release on older Ubuntu releases.

You can do so by first installing snapd on your system if it's not there
already. Once snapd is installed, installing the LXD snap and migrating your
existing data can be done with:

snap install lxd && lxd.migrate

Alternatively, we do still provide a .deb version of LXD for older Ubuntu
releases through the official -backports archive pocket.

Those packages are identical to what's available through our PPAs but
benefit
from additional testing on our part. To switch over to those backport
packages,
use:

apt install -t <release>-backports lxd lxd-client

Replacing "<release>" with the codename of your Ubuntu release (e.g.
xenial).