[lxc-users] ?= =?utf-8?q? "lxc network create" error

Sjoerd sjoerd at sjomar.eu
Tue Aug 1 10:49:59 UTC 2017

On 01-08-17 11:40, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 01, 2017 18:04 JST, Sjoerd <sjoerd at sjomar.eu> wrote:
>

>> On 30-07-17 17:15, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>>> Bug or a feature?
>>>
>>> # lxc network create dev
>>> error: Failed to run: ip link add dev type bridge: Error: either "dev" is duplicate, or "bridge" is a garbage.
>>>

>>> # lxc network create devel
>>> Network devel created
>>>

>> I vote for feature, since dev is most likely a reserved word, since it's
>> short for device in routing terms.
> Unless someone has i.e. "prod" and "dev" environments.
Unrelate imho. In this case you're trying to create a network, which
implies routing commands under the hood, so than I find it logical that
dev can't be used as name.

>> i.e. setting routing can be done like : ip route add 192.168.10.0/24 via
>> 10.2.2.1 dev eth0
> But that's a different command.
Yes, but as stated above...you're creating a network device, which needs
routing applied.
So I can imagine (but for details the developers might be better to
explain), that lxc (a front-end) will use the ip route command under the
hood to apply the IP address/routing like : ip route add 192.168.1.0/24
dev lxdbr1. Just take a look at the output of "ip route list"