[lxc-users] LXD 2.12 - VXLAN configuration connected to eth1

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 20:04:03 UTC 2017

Greetings all.

Following Stéphane’s excellent guide on using multicast VXLAN with LXD (https://stgraber.org/2016/10/27/network-management-with-lxd-2-3/).  In my lab, I have setup a few servers running Ubuntu 16.04 with LXD 2.12 and multiple interfaces (eth0, eth1, eth2).  My goal is to setup a multi-tenant computing solution using VXLAN to separate network traffic.  I want to dedicate eth0 as the mgmt-only interface and use eth1 (or other additional interfaces) as customer-only interfaces. I have read a number of guides but can’t find anything that clearly spells out how to create bridged interfaces using eth1, eth2, etc for LXD.

I can get everything working using a single “eth0” interface on my LXD hosts using the following commands:
lxc network create vxlan100 ipv4.address=none ipv6.address=none tunnel.vxlan100.protocol=vxlan tunnel.vxlan100.id=100
lxc launch ubuntu: testvm01
lxc network attach vxlan100 testvm01

All good so far.  I created two test containers running on separate LXD servers using the above VXLAN ID and gave each a static IP Address (i.e.: 10.1.1.1/24 and 10.1.1.2/24).  Both can ping back and forth.  100% working.

The next step is to use eth1 instead of eth0 on my LXD servers,  but I can’t find a keyword in the online docs that specify which interface to bind (https://github.com/lxc/lxd/blob/master/doc/networks.md).

Any pointers/clues?

Thanks,

-Ron