[lxc-users] Short howto re lxd-container-on-LAN for impatient dummies?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Apr 22 15:52:01 UTC 2017

TL;dr:

For Ubuntu 16.04 users who have lxd-2.0.9 from xenial-updates,
what is the fast path towards simple lxd container-on-the-lan happiness?
(Extra credit: allow ssh between the host and the guest, also part of
Things Just Working.)

Long version:

The issue
https://github.com/lxc/lxd/issues/1294
was closed, but as far as I can tell, is still valid:
lxc users don't care about bridges, they just Want Things To Work.
And so the tutorials for setting up lxd containers that act like
they're on the LAN, e.g.
 https://www.stgraber.org/2016/10/27/network-management-with-lxd-2-3/
 https://www.simpleprecision.com/ubuntu-16-04-lxd-networking-simple-bridge/
leave them cold, leading to questions like
 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41826430/how-to-setup-lxd-containers-that-communicate-over-the-lan
Note the length of the answer.  Users who Just Want Things To Work
don't want to have to learn about bridges.  I know, it's their loss, but
that's the way it is.  This hinders adoption.

(Docker probably has similar problems, but has wrappers like weave,
pipework, flannel, and socketplane to smooth things over for users, I hear.)