[lxc-users] basic understanding - clarification sought

David Favor david at davidfavor.com
Sat Apr 8 18:02:56 UTC 2017

gunnar.wagner wrote:
>   hi everybody,
>
> I am a novice to LXC/LXD and am trying to get a basic understanding
> together. I have grasped some things which I am not sure about whether I
> got them wrong or write.
> Maybe this groups is able and willing to confirm or set things straight
> for me
>
>    1.
>
>       if you run LXD the lxc commands used are different from the lxc
>       commands used when running 'bare' lxc (for example 'lxc list'   vs
>         'lxc-ls --fancy')?

Differentiating LXC/LXD commands can be a bit challenging, since LXC + LXD
are very different beasts.

For example...

    lxc-ls + lxc-attach are old LXC commands

These commands don't exist when LXD is installed.

The following commands work when LXD is installed + don't exist when old
LXC is installed.

    lxc exec $container bash
    lxc list

Extremely confusing for people newly introduced to LXC/LXD.

My preference is for all "lxc" commands to change to "lxd" when LXD
is installed.

This would have been much simpler... IMHO...

Refer to LXD docs to figure out the correct LXD-ism required to accomplish
you target task.

>    2.
>
>       LXD runs on the Apache License 2.0 (same as Docker engine) so it
>       could happen the same thing to lxd (being divided into Community
>       vc Enterprise Edition) any time (legally speaking. Who would be
>       the force to decide on such a move? Canonical? Is there any
>       intention to make such a move at any point in time?

Sounds like you have some specific question, behind this question.

Ask a question related to your concern + likely someone can assist.

>    3.
>
>       an LXC container behaves more like a VM then a docker or rkt
>       container does (machine- vs app-container), correct? Is it also
>       larger in size?

Correct. Docker tends to be application specific with volatile data, so
when the Docker instance dies, related data disappears.

I've never been able to figure out a real world, LAMP stack application
for this type of data volatility.

With LXD, you have a fully running LAMP stack, running under a specific
distro - Ubuntu or RedHat or Alpine.

All data persists across/between container reboots, so think of LXC
slicing up one physical server into many virtual servers... all running
at near bare metal speed, rather than suffering the usually performance
penalty of typical VM runtime environments.

I run a private hosting company with 1000s of sites spread across 100s
of LXD containers across many physical machines.

LXD is the only way I can run this type of business efficiently.

I bow down to the LXD developers. They've all made my life extremely easy.

> thanks for clarifying

You're welcome!

Enjoy your LXDing.