[lxc-users] basic understanding - clarification sought

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 03:19:34 UTC 2017

LXD and LXC are basically separate, from a user's point of view. the
`lxc` command is actually LXD. `lxc` followed by a dash, like `lxc-ls`
is LXC. These are sometimes referred to (e.g. in Ubuntu packaging) as
lxc-1.0 (lxc-ls, etc.) and lxc-2.0 (LXD).

LXC containers are not too different from Docker; Docker used to use
liblxc as its base.

LXD containers are designed to feel more like a VM, yes. They _can_ be
slightly larger in size, depending, because they run an entire guest
OS minus the kernel, starting from the init daemon, all libraries,
etc.  But the difference in size isn't terrible if you have a
deduplicating filesystem, FS-level compression, or a small number of
containers (or just a huge amount of disk space). A few gigs per
container base image, at most.

I don't foresee any LXD _code_ ever being locked under a proprietary
license. Canonical doesn't really do that. They do have enterprise
support that you can pay for, but in that case, you are paying them
for services (technical advice and possibly individualized patches or
builds), not for source code or software licenses. The software itself
should remain free and open source, though any company (even a company
other than Canonical) could develop proprietary extensions or
integrations at any time if they wanted to. The license won't prevent
them from doing so. I just think it's unlikely in practice.

Sean