[lxc-users] lxc 2.0.7: sysvinit on the host breaks systemd based containers

Harald Dunkel harri at afaics.de
Mon Apr 3 05:03:59 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

using sysvinit-core on the host the systemd based containers get
stuck in /sbin/init. lxc-attach shows:

root at lxcclient:~# ps -ef
UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
root         1     0  0 11:49 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/init
root        24     0  0 12:05 pts/0    00:00:00 /bin/bash
root        26    24  0 12:05 pts/0    00:00:00 ps -ef

This host uses lxc 2.0.7, as it can be found in Jessie backports. See
below for a list of installed packages. The container was created
on the same host.

I am bound to sysvinit-core on my HA systems. For lxc 1.1.5 there was
no such problem, so I wonder if there is a workaround on the host?

Every helpful comment is highly appreciated.
Regards
Harri

LXC server:
root at lxc01:~# dpkg -l \*lxc\* \*systemd\* \*cgroup\* \*sysvinit\*
||/ Name                                 Version                 Architecture            Description
+++-====================================-=======================-=======================-==============================================================================
un  cgroup-bin                           <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
ii  cgroup-tools                         0.41-6                  amd64                   control and monitor control groups (tools)
ii  cgroupfs-mount                       1.3                     all                     Light-weight package to set up cgroupfs mounts
ii  libcgroup1:amd64                     0.41-6                  amd64                   control and monitor control groups (library)
ii  liblxc1                              1:2.0.7-2~bpo8+1        amd64                   Linux Containers userspace tools (library)
un  libpam-systemd                       <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
ii  libsystemd0:amd64                    215-17+deb8u6           amd64                   systemd utility library
ii  lxc                                  1:2.0.7-2~bpo8+1        amd64                   Linux Containers userspace tools
ii  lxcfs                                2.0.6-1~bpo8+1          amd64                   FUSE based filesystem for LXC
ii  python3-lxc                          1:2.0.7-2~bpo8+1        amd64                   Linux Containers userspace tools (Python 3.x bindings)
un  systemd                              <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  systemd-sysv                         <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  sysvinit                             <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
ii  sysvinit-core                        2.88dsf-59              amd64                   System-V-like init utilities
ii  sysvinit-utils                       2.88dsf-59              amd64                   System-V-like utilities