[lxc-users] ZVOL and zfs support inside a container

Spike spike at drba.org
Sun Apr 2 18:51:30 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm playing with various combinations of virtualization and backends to
find the best way to manage some samba and nfs exports and one of the
options I'm considering is the following:

- run a lxd container backed up by zfs
- create a ZVOL on zfs
- export the VZOL to the container as a block device
- create a zpool from that device inside the container
- export that

however I can't seem to be able to make the container see and manage zfs
stuff. firs off it seems that the container needs to be privileged, which
is ok, it's not hosting anything or providing any public services. Second,
I got the impression that I need to expose the /dev/zfs from the host to
the container? is that the case? is there no way to create a second one
with access just to the ZVOL?

thanks for any help,

Spike