[lxc-users] can't run “glxgears” in root on lxc 2.0 container

manik sheeri sheeri185adidam at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 17:01:15 UTC 2016

I was able to fix it and run glxgears in root mode. The problem was with
the xauth.

The host system already had xauth.The idea is to use the key of the already
trusted user, which in my case was manik on the host system.

Using command xauth list on host gave me the following output:

manik/unix:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  a4f6256398303725763c5595f404afbb

I am going to use the key in hex(right-most most entry above) in my root
user account inside container.

I installed xauth package in the container:

sudo apt-get install xauth

Inside root user prompt in container:

export DISPLAY=":0"
xauth add $DISPLAY . a4f6256398303725763c5595f404afbb

And now glxgears works fine in root mode.