[lxc-users] LAN for LXD containers (with multiple LXD servers)?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Sep 19 17:46:04 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-19 05:12, Tilak Waelde wrote:
>> Hope this helps.  Happy to share my LXD configurations with anyone...
>>
> Please do! I'd really love to see a description of a production lxd /
> lxc setup with proper networking and multiple hosts!
>
> I haven't played around with it yet, but is it possible to include
> some sort of VRF-lite[0] into such a setup for multi tenancy purposes?
> Other than by using VLANs one could use the same IP ranges multiple
> times from what I've come to understand?
> I'm not sure how a user could put the containers interfaces into a
> different network namespace..

Hi,

after some experimenting with VXLAN, I've summed up a working "LAN for
multiple LXC servers" here:

https://lxadm.com/Unicast_VXLAN:_overlay_network_for_multiple_servers_with_dozens_of_containers

It is using in kernel VXLAN, and thus performs very well (almost wire
speed, and much much better than any userspace programs).

On the other hand, it provides no encryption between LXD servers (or, in
fact, any other virtualization), so may depend on your exact
requirements.

Tomasz Chmielewski