[lxc-users] LAN for LXD containers (with multiple LXD servers)?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Sun Sep 18 13:41:45 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-18 22:14, Ron Kelley wrote:
> (Long reply follows…)
>
> Personally, I think you need to look at the big picture for such
> deployments.  From what I read below, you are asking, “how do I extend
> my layer-2 subnets between data centers such that container1 in Europe
> can talk with container6 in Asia, etc”.  If this is true, I think you
> need to look at deploying data center hardware (servers with multiple
> NICs, IPMI/DRAC/iLO interfaces) with proper L2/L3 routing (L2TP/IPSEC,
> etc).  And, you must look at how your failover services will work in
> this design.  It’s easy to get a couple of servers working with a
> simple design, but those simple designs tend to go to production very
> fast without proper testing and design.

Well, it's not only about deploying on "different continents".

It can be also in the same datacentre, where the hosting doesn't give
you a LAN option.

For example - Amazon AWS, same region, same availability zone.

The servers will have "private" addresses like 10.x.x.x, traffic there
will be private to your servers, but there will be no LAN. You can't
assign your own LAN addresses (10.x.x.x).

This means, while you can launch several LXD containers on every of
these servers - but their "LAN" will be limited per each LXD server
(unless we do some special tricks).

Some other hostings offer a public IP, or several public IPs per
servers, in the same datacentre, but again, no LAN.

Tomasz Chmielewski
https://lxadm.com