[lxc-users] LAN for LXD containers (with multiple LXD servers)?

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 13:14:41 UTC 2016

(Long reply follows…)

Personally, I think you need to look at the big picture for such deployments.  From what I read below, you are asking, “how do I extend my layer-2 subnets between data centers such that container1 in Europe can talk with container6 in Asia, etc”.  If this is true, I think you need to look at deploying data center hardware (servers with multiple NICs, IPMI/DRAC/iLO interfaces) with proper L2/L3 routing (L2TP/IPSEC, etc).  And, you must look at how your failover services will work in this design.  It’s easy to get a couple of servers working with a simple design, but those simple designs tend to go to production very fast without proper testing and design.

All that said, here is one way I would tackle this type of request:

* Get servers with at least 3 NICs (preferably 5)
  * One iLO/DRAC/IPMI interface for out-of-band management
  * One for Container server management (ie: LXD1 IP 1.2.3.4) - use a second NIC for redundancy in a bonded configuration
  * One for Container hosting network (ie container1, container2, etc) - use a second NIC for redundancy and VLANs to separate traffic

* Get firewalls in each location with L2TP/IPSEC support (pfSense works great)
  * Extend your L2 networks between your sites with L2TP
  * Secure the connection with IPSSEC

* On your LXD servers, create 2 bonded NICs
  * One for container management (eth0, eth1)
  * One for hosting network (eth2, eth3)
  * Use VLANs on hosting network to separate traffic
  * Configure your containers with the appropriate VLAN tag (ie: 501)

Once the above is done, your containers can talk w/each other in different locations.  You can use firewall rules to allow/deny IP connections from your container VMs.  You can extend both your container management and hosting networks across the L2 tunnel allowing you to move VMs at will.

General Notes:
-----------------------
* For server bonded connections, I use linux mode type 6;  works well, provides great throughput, requires no special configuration on directly-connected switches.
* On the LXD side, create multiple profiles with VLAN configurations.  Personally, I have 2 profiles: one for VLAN 501 and one for VLAN 502.  Local firewall provides security between container networks.
* Be mindful of the services you share across the tunnels.  Things like iSCSI, NFS, etc will kill your network performance because of the chatty type of traffic.

Some good references:
https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/L2TP/IPsec
http://archive.openflow.org/wk/index.php/Tunneling_-_GRE/L2TP
http://www.networkworld.com/article/2163334/tech-primers/what-can-l2tp-do-for-your-network-.html

Caution: L2 networks have a lot of broadcast traffic.  If your site-to-site connections are slow, your entire extended L2 network will suffer.  Must find a way to suppress L2 broadcast/multicast between sites.

Hope this helps.  Happy to share my LXD configurations with anyone...

-Ron