[lxc-users] inventory / dashboard tool to manage LXD containers' lifecycle

brian mullan bmullan.mail at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 13:38:41 UTC 2016

Michael DeHaan was the creator of both Cobbler and Ansible and he lives in
the same city as I do (Raleigh  NC).

I'd met Michael when he briefly worked at Cisco Systems a few years ago and
over lunch I'd talked to him about some of my work with (at the time) LXC.

Michael and already moved on from Cobbler and had just developed what
became Ansible.

Anyway.. a year ago he posted his thoughts on LXC after using it for a
while:

http://michaeldehaan.net/post/111599240017/skipping-docker-for-lxc-for-local-development

I'd also like to throw this out there.   A year or so ago I'd learned about
Rundeck.

http://rundeck.org/docs/manual/introduction.html

Rundeck is used by folks like Disney, Salesforce, etc/

I installed & used Rundeck for a short time just to see how it worked and
felt that it would make a great LXC & now LXD orchestration/provisioning
system.    I kept meaning to go back and spend some more time with it but
other projects diverted my short attention span :-)

The Rundeck "tutorials" <http://rundeck.org/docs/tutorials/index.html>
would should give you an idea why...

Rundeck could easily be adapted to LXD's* command line* syntax.

But someone more technically inclined than me I believe could also create
an LXD JSON plugin for Rundeck's Plugin API ecosystem
<http://rundeck.org/plugins/index.html>  that would also make management of
LXD containers (remotely or locally) easy.

Rundeck does support the concept of "roles" so that too could enable "user"
vs "admin" type LXD jobs to be developed.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention it as Rundeck's Web interface is easy and (to
me) it seemed a good fit for use with LXD.

Brian