[lxc-users] proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount failed

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Sat Sep 3 10:03:10 UTC 2016

On Sat, Sep 3, 2016 at 1:21 PM,  <webman at manfbraun.de> wrote:
> Hello !
>
> I have a problem with LXC (1.0.6-6+deb8u2, on debian jessie, 8.5, uname 3.16.xx).

If you REALLY have (or want) to use debian jessie, I recommend at
least use jessie-backports:
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=lxc
It has lxc-2.0.x which has lots of improvements over 1.0.x.

> [FAILED] Failed to set up automount Arbitrary Executable File Formats File System Automount Point.
> See 'systemctl status proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount' for details.
> Unit proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount entered failed state.

Some things, like autofs or loading kernel module, simply doesn't work
inside a container. Most linux programs can run just fine without it
though.

> I do not understand too much of Linux to know, what this means. I just created
> another machine, whith same results. All work done as root.

A simple google search for "linux binfmt" (or reading the link in
systemd unit) would've told you a lot. Short version, if you're not
using wine or qemu user emulation, it should be safe to ignore it.

If you're "just a user who wants to use linux container", I highly
recommend you use ubuntu + lxd + zfs instead. Ubuntu has gone a long
way to integrate lxd/lxc into their distro, including tweaking their
packages to be more container-friendly.

--
Fajar