[lxc-users] proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount failed

webman at manfbraun.de webman at manfbraun.de
Sat Sep 3 06:21:27 UTC 2016

Hello !

I have a problem with LXC (1.0.6-6+deb8u2, on debian jessie, 8.5, uname 3.16.xx).
I am making just the basisc to start: lxc-create.
Creation of the VM works, I gave it a network (which work) and start it.

Then I got this message:

Set hostname to <vmtest>.
[  OK  ] Reached target Remote File Systems (Pre).
[  OK  ] Reached target Paths.
[  OK  ] Reached target Encrypted Volumes.
Failed to open /dev/autofs: No such file or directory
Failed to initialize automounter: No such file or directory
[FAILED] Failed to set up automount Arbitrary Executable File Formats File System Automount Point.
See 'systemctl status proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount' for details.
Unit proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount entered failed state.

Anyway, the machine is running and I log in and follow the message (above):

$ systemctl --failed
  UNIT                              LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
● proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount loaded failed failed Arbitrary Executable File Formats File System Automount Point

and

$ systemctl status -l proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount
● proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount - Arbitrary Executable File Formats File System Automount Point
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount; static)
   Active: failed (Result: resources)
    Where: /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc
     Docs: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/binfmt_misc.txt
           http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/APIFileSystems

There are no files below:

/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/

I do not understand too much of Linux to know, what this means. I just created
another machine, whith same results. All work done as root.

I put here all relevant lines of the config file (the network is ok):

lxc.rootfs = /var/lib/lxc/vmtest/rootfs
lxc.include = /usr/share/lxc/config/debian.common.conf
lxc.mount = /var/lib/lxc/vmtest/fstab
lxc.utsname = vmtest
lxc.arch = amd64
lxc.autodev = 1
lxc.kmsg = 0
lxc.tty = 8

Additional to note: There is nothing in the '/var/lib/lxc/vmtest/fstab' file.

Looking at systemd's unit-file, I see a precondition, which is NOT true:
ConditionPathIsReadWrite=/proc/sys/

So, if someone could help, this would be great. It's a bad idea to me,
to continue with this fault (and to not know about the consequences).
Beneth what systemd tells, "Failed to open /dev/autofs: No such file or directory"
seems to be the core of the problem.

BTW, did exact the same on another jessie (same versions), same result
and there seems to be no apparmor or selinux on my computers.

Thanks anyway and best regards,
Manfred