[lxc-users] Issue with physical nictype

Tardif, Christian christian.tardif at servinfo.ca
Fri Nov 4 12:36:19 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm using LXD containers with this particular setup:

On the LXD host, the NIC's which is made available to the containers are
IPVLAN/L3 nics. We're using this in order to effectively hve containers
available o the network (no NAT) without too much hassle with the
underlying Openstack environment (and without entering in too many
details). IPVLAN nics are linked to the physical nic on the LXD host,
such as:

ip  link add ipvlan0 link ens3 type ipvlan mode l3

The container config looks like:

devices:
  eth0:
    nictype: physical    parent: ipvlan0
    type: nic

No issue when I bring the container up. The ipvlan0 interface is passed
to the container, dissapearing from the host. But when I shut the
container off, the nic is not released to the LXD host. As such, I can't
restart the container again, as the NIC is no longer available from the
LXD server to be offered to the container.

How can I fix this behavior?

--
CHRISTIAN TARDIF