[lxc-users] zfs disk usage for published lxd images

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon May 16 10:59:31 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 5:38 PM, Ron Kelley <rkelleyrtp at gmail.com> wrote:
> For what's worth, I use BTRFS, and it works great.

Btrfs also works in nested lxd, so if that's your primary use I highly
recommend btrfs.

Of course, you could also keep using zfs-backed containers, but
manually assign a zvol-formatted-as-btrfs for first-level-container's
/var/lib/lxd.

>  Container copies are almost instant.  I can use compression with minimal overhead,

zfs and btrfs are almost identical in that aspect (snapshot/clone, and
lz4 vs lzop in compression time and ratio). However, lz4 (used in zfs)
is MUCH faster at decompression compared to lzop (used in btrfs),
while lzop uses less memory.

> use quotas to limit container disk space,

zfs does that too

> and can schedule a deduplication task via cron to save even more space.

That is, indeed, only available in btrfs

--
Fajar