[lxc-users] LXD Newb questions

Tycho Andersen tycho.andersen at canonical.com
Tue Mar 15 22:38:23 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 04:19:57PM +0000, Will Dennis wrote:
> (Pointers to existing documentation that I haven’t found yet gratefully appreciated ;)
>
> A few questions from one new to LXD (and pretty new to LXC in general…)
>
> 1) We[1] have an existing implementation of LXC hosts (lxc 1.0.x) running ’n’ containers per host. There does not seem to be an overarching multi-host management tool for LXC 1.x; is there such a thing in LXC/LXD 2.0? WebUI would be great, but TUI/CLI is fine.

Depending on what you mean by management, yes. LXD has the concept of
remotes, where you can start/stop/copy images from/push files to/etc.
The CLI experience is designed to be very close to git remotes.

> 2) Can containers created with LXC 1.0 be migrated over to LXD management? If so, are there any instructions for doing so?

There is a script here:
https://github.com/lxc/lxd/blob/master/scripts/lxc-to-lxd

although there are some cases it doesn't handle.

> 3) I hear live migration is a thing with LXD, but from reading the mailing list threads (Feb/Mar 2016) I think it’s not quite ready for prime time… Can someone confirm/deny this, and if not ready yet, can anyone give me an estimate on availability (we’d be deploying on 16.04 once that is released.)

With CRIU 2.0 in the archive now things should be a lot better. That
said, there will still be corner cases and features that we don't
support yet.

Tycho