[lxc-users] ArchLinux images on images.linuxcontainers.org

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Fri Mar 11 23:26:33 UTC 2016

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 6:01 AM, Leonid Isaev
<leonid.isaev at jila.colorado.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 01:39:21AM +0300, Artyom Aleksyuk wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I've found that there's no ArchLinux images on images.linuxcontainers.org.
>> Arch is a pretty popular distro with a mainly fresh software. Sometimes you
>> need to have a newest version (not yet packaged in repos) of several
>> programs on your Ubuntu machine, and using Arch container is one of the
>> easiest and cleanest ways to solve this problem.

Most popular software should also be available on ubuntu ppa. For
example, arch's web latest news is about php7.0. Ondřej Surý maintains
co-installable php 5.6 and 7.0 (i.e. you can have both on the same
machine)  on https://launchpad.net/~ondrej/+archive/ubuntu/php

> FYI, Arch provides official rootfs images, see
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/archlinux/iso/2016.03.01/ .
>
> You don't need any images or templates because those are mostly about devices
> and root password. However, Arch uses systemd and runs inside LXC without any
> configuration, so you unpack the image, chroot into it and do a minimal config.
> Assuming that you have already lxc config in place, of course.

... and if you want to use it as unprivileged container, you can try
shifting the uids with fuidshift from lxc-tools package.

--
Fajar